• To create an awareness on the various environmental issues in an urban scenario and give an exposure to the urban water resources and its management.
• To impart knowledge on the stages of works involved in a water supply project of a city, safe wastewater collection system for generated wastewater and its management, solid waste and their safe disposal beyond urban limit to be free from pollution is also addressed in the course work.
UNIT I URBAN ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
Urbanization- Population growth scenario -Migration – Pollution of surface water resources – Rivers, tanks, channels -Ground water exploitation – Waste water -Characteristics -Pollution problems – Solid waste -Air pollution – CPCB norms.
UNIT II URBAN MASTER PLANS
Planning and organizational aspects -Urban waste resources management – Water in urban ecosystem -Urban water resources planning and organization aspects -Storm water management practices -Types of storage -Magnitude of storage -Storage capacity of urban components – Percolation ponds -Temple tanks -Rainwater harvesting -Urban water supply – Demand estimation -Population forecasting -Source identification -Water conveyance -Storage reservoirs -Fixing storage capacity – Distribution network -Types -Analysis -Computer applications – Conservation techniques -Integrated urban water planning – Smart city project planning – Green Building – LEED certification – Green audit
UNIT III URBAN WASTEWATER MANAGEMENT
Sewage generation -Storm drainage estimation -Industry contribution -Wastewater collection system -Separate and combined system -Hydraulic design of sewer and storm drain -Wastewater treatment -Disposal methods -Concept of decentralization – 3R concepts.
UNIT IV MUNICIPAL SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT
Sources of solid waste -Characteristics -Rate of generation -Segregation at source -Collection of solid waste -Methods of collection -Route analysis -Transfer and transfer stations -Processing and disposal of solid waste.
UNIT V CASE STUDIES
Environmental economics- Social and physiological aspects of pollution – Successful urban management -Models- Urban management-Case studies from developed nations -Software.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to
• understand planning of a city and identify various urban environmental issues
• apply and prepare project plans to integrate urban water resource
• develop water resource management using available water resources
• understand and apply the principles of solid waste management