• To explore the fundamental concepts of transportation and distribution management
• To gain knowledge in network planning, routing and scheduling and application of IT in transportation and distribution management.
UNIT I DISTRIBUTION
Role of Distribution in Supply chain, Distribution channels – Functions, resources, Operations in Distribution, Designing Distribution network models – its features – advantages and disadvantages.
UNIT II PLANNING
Distribution network planning, Distribution network decisions, Distribution requirement planning (DRP)
UNIT III TRANSPORTATION
Role of Transportation in Logistics and Business, Principle and Participants-Scope and relationshipwith other business functions, Modes of Transportation – Mode and Carrier selection, Routing and scheduling.
UNIT IV TRANSPORTATION
International transportation, Carrier, Freight and Fleet management, Transportation management systems-Administration, Rate negotiation, Trends in Transportation.
UNIT V INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT)
Usage of IT applications -E commerce – ITMS, Communication systems-Automatic vehicle location systems, Geographic information Systems.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
The students will be able to:
• Gain knowledge about the distribution requirements planning.
• Predict the scope and relationship of transportation with other business functions
• Make use of the advantages and disadvantages of the various models.