• To learn the major initiatives taken by a company’s top management on behalf of corporate, involving resources and performance in external environments. It entails specifying the organization’s mission, vision and objectives, and to equip with skills required to manage business and non-business organizations at senior levels. The course adopts a functional approach to management developing policies and plan to understand the analysis and implementation of strategic management in strategic business units.
UNIT I STRATEGY AND PROCESS
Conceptual framework for strategic management, the Concept of Strategy and the Strategy Formation Process – Stakeholders in business – Vision, Mission and Purpose – Business definition, Objectives and Goals – Corporate Governance and Social responsibility-case study.
UNIT II COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE
External Environment – Porter‘s Five Forces Model-Strategic Groups Competitive Changes during Industry Evolution-Globalisation and Industry Structure – National Context and Competitive advantage Resources- Capabilities and competencies–core competencies-Low cost and differentiation Generic Building Blocks of Competitive Advantage- Distinctive Competencies- Resources and Capabilities durability of competitive Advantage- Avoiding failures and sustaining competitive advantage-Case study.
UNIT III STRATEGIES
The generic strategic alternatives – Stability, Expansion, Retrenchment and Combination strategies – Business level strategy- Strategy in the Global Environment-Corporate Strategy- Vertical Integration- Diversification and Strategic Alliances- Building and Restructuring the corporation- Strategic analysis and choice – Managing Growth – Environmental Threat and Opportunity Profile (ETOP) – Organizational Capability Profile – Strategic Advantage Profile – Corporate Portfolio Analysis – SWOT Analysis – GAP Analysis – Mc Kinsey’s 7s Framework – GE 9 Cell Model – Distinctive competitiveness – Selection of matrix – Balance Score Card-case study.
UNIT IV STRATEGY IMPLEMENTATION & EVALUATION
The implementation process, Resource allocation, Designing organisational structure-Designing Strategic Control Systems- Matching structure and control to strategy-Implementing Strategic change- Politics-Power and Conflict-Techniques of strategic evaluation & control-case study.
UNIT V OTHER STRATEGIC ISSUES
Managing Technology and Innovation – Strategic issues for Non Profit organisations. New Business Models and strategies for Internet Economy-case study Challenges in Strategic Management: Introduction, Strategic Management as an Organisational Force, Dealing with Strategic Management in Various Situations, Strategic Management Implications and Challenges
Recent Trends in Strategic Management: Introduction, Strategic Thinking, Organisational Culture and its Significance, Organisational Development and Change, Change Management, Strategic management in a new globalised economy
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
• Ability to understand the Strategic management process and social responsibility of business organizations
• In-depth understanding about the need for developing competitive advantage for organizations
• Provides insights into various corporate and business level strategies
• Facilitates to identify the various control systems required for organizational strategy implementation process
• Enhances the cognitive knowledge about various strategic issues and development of new business models
1. Hill. Strategic Management: An Integrated approach, 2009 Edition Wiley (2012).
2. John A.Parnell. Strategic Management, Theory and practice Biztantra (2012).
3. Azhar Kazmi, Strategic Management and Business Policy, 3rd Edition, Tata McGraw Hill, 2008
4. AdriauH Aberberg and Alison Rieple, Strategic Management Theory & Application, Oxford University Press, 2008.
5. Lawerence G. Hrebiniak, Making strategy work, Pearson, 2 nd edition, 2013.
6. Gupta, Gollakota and Srinivasan, Business Policy and Strategic Management – Concepts and Application, Prentice Hall of India, 2005.
7 Dr.Dharma Bir Singh, Strategic Management & Business Policy, KoGent Learning Solutions Inc., Wiley, 2012.
8. John Pearce, Richard Robinson and Amitha Mittal, Strategic Management, McGraw Hill, 12th Edition, 2012
9. Lafley AG and Roger L Martin, Playing to Win : Strategy really works, Harvard Business Review Press