• To learn the fundamental principles and practices of managing projects.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Project Management – Definition –Goal – Lifecycles. Project Environments. Project Manager – Roles- Responsibilities and Selection.
UNIT II PLANNING, BUDGETING AND RISK MANAGEMENT
The Planning Process – Work Break down Structure. Cost Estimating and Budgeting – Process, Summaries, schedules and forecasts. Managing risks – concepts, identification, assessment and response planning.
UNIT III SCHEDULING & RESOURCE ALLOCATION
PERT & CPM Networks – Crashing – Project Uncertainty and Risk Management – Simulation – Gantt Charts – Expediting a project – Resource loading and leveling. Allocating scarce resources – Goldratt’s Critical Chain.
UNIT IV PROJECT ORGANISATION & CONFLICT MANAGEMENT
Formal Organisation Structure – Organisation Design – Types of project organizations. Conflict – Origin & Consequences. Project Teams. Managing conflict – Team methods for resolving conflict.
UNIT V CONTROL AND COMPLETION
Project Control – Process, Monitoring, Internal and External control, Performance analysis, Performance Index Monitoring. Project Evaluation, Reporting and Termination. Project success and failure – Lessons.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
• Ability to understand the roles and responsibilities of a project manager
• Ability to plan and budget projects
• Ability to schedule and allocate resources to projects
• Ability to manage project organization
• Ability to control and complete projects