• To impart projects types, time & resource management, resource optimization and new trends in project management.
UNIT I PROJECT AND ITS PROCESS
Define project and process -Boundaries of project – Objectives and functions of project management -Characteristics and types of projects -Organization structure / styles -Roles of project management group – Project management office and its role – Project knowledge area – Project integration- Process group interaction -project flow – Project life cycle- Influencing factors. – Case study.
UNIT II PROJECT TIME MANAGEMENT
Project scope management – Work break down structure – Activity/Task – Events – Case study – Project planning tools – Rolling wave planning – Gantt charts, Milestone chart, Program progress chart- Creating milestone plan – Project network- Fulkerson’s rules – A-O-A and A-O-N networks – Analyze project time- Critical path method (deterministic approach) – Activity oriented network analysis- 80-20 rule- Case study – Type of time estimates & square network diagram – Project updating and monitoring- Case study – Estimate time- Program Evaluation & Review Technique (Probabilistic approach)- Event oriented network analysis- Optimistic, pessimistic and most likely time – Degree of variability in average time – Probabilistic estimate – % utilization of resources.
UNIT III RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
Types of Resource- Time, Men, Material, Machinery, Money, Space – Balancing of resource – Resource smoothing technique- Time constraint – Resource leveling technique- Resource constraint- Case study.
UNIT IV RESOURCE OPTIMIZATION
Types of cost – Direct, indirect and total cost – Variation of cost with time – Schedule compression techniques- Crashing, fast tracking & Re-estimation- Crash timeand crash cost – Optimize project cost for time and resource – CPM cost model – Life cycle assessment – Impacts and economical assessment – Life cycle cost- Maintenance and operation -Life cycle forecasting – Concept and applications.
UNIT V EMERGING TRENDS IN PROJECT MANAGEMENT
AGILE Project management and Project Management using latest tools- Case study.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
On successful completion of the course, the students will be able to
• explain the concept of projects, its process, objectives and functions of project management
• analyze and manage time in projects through gantt charts, cpm and pert techniques
• balance resource requirements of projects so as to avoid idling of resources
• update projects and determine revised schedule of activities and critical path, if any
• crash projects to determine its optimum time-minimum cost relationships