• To develop an understanding of the nature and strategies of negotiation.
• To understand conflict and strategies to resolve the conflict.
UNIT I FUNDAMENTALS OF NEGOTIATION
Nature, Characteristics of negotiation- Dimensions of Negotiation-Structure- Norms & values-Types of Negotiation- Negotiation process- Perception and Preparation-Communication and Influence- Techniques of Negotiation- Issues in negotiation.
UNIT II NEGOTIATION STRATEGIES
strategy and planning for negotiation- Strategy and Tactics for distributive bargaining -Integrative negotiation-Negotiation power- source of power- Cross culture Negotiation-Ethics in negotiation.
UNIT III INTRODUCTION TO CONFLICT MANAGEMENT
Understanding conflict, components, perspective of conflict- Types of conflict- Models of conflict (Process & Structural)-Sources of conflict- Contingency approach, conflict management process, conflict domain, conflict trends, conflict distribution, conflict mapping and tracking-conflict & performance – Advantages & Disadvantages of Conflict.
UNIT IV MANAGING INTERPERSONAL, GROUP AND ORGANIZATIONAL CONFLICT
Individual difference- Personalities & abilities- Interpersonal conflict- Group conflict- Organizational conflict- Dealing with difficult subordinates & boss-Technique to resolve team conflict- organizational conflict strategies.
UNIT V CONFLICT RESOLUTION AND COST
Conflict resolution models-framework model-classical ideas- new developments in conflict resolution- Environmental conflict resolution-gender and conflict resolution-Assessing the cost of workplace conflict.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
The student gets to learn about
• The fundamentals of Negotiation, Types, process and techniques
• Strategies and tactics in Negotiation
• The basics of Conflict management, models, approaches and process
• Managing interpersonal, group and organizational conflict
• Conflict resolution models and cost of workplace conflict
1. Negotiation – Lewicki, Saunders, Barry, TMGH, 2014
2. Corporate Conflict Management – concepts & skills by Eirene Rout, Nelson Omika, PHI, 2007
3. Negotiation- Communication for diverse settings- Michael Spangle, Sage Publication, 2008
4. Managing conflict and negotiation, B.D. Singh, 1st edition, Excel books, 2008.
5. Conflict Management: Practical guide to develop negotiation strategies, Barbara A Budjac Corvette, Pearson Prentice Hall, 2006, ISBN: 8174466428, 9788174466426
6. Managing Conflict in Organizations, M. Afzalur Rahim, 4th Edition, Transaction Publishers, 2011, ISBN 1412844258, 9781412844253.
7. Negotiation, Harvard Business Essentials, Harvard Business School Press, 2003
8. How to negotiate effectively, David Oliver, The Sunday Times, Kogan Page, 2010
9. Conflict Resolution Techniques by Subbulakshmi, ICFAI University press, 2005