• To impart knowledge on management of human resources, labor legislation, safety and quality aspects in construction
UNIT I HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
Introduction – Concept- Growth – Role and function – Manpower planning for construction companies – Line and staff function – Recruitment, selection, placement, induction and training; over staffing; Time office and establishment functions; wage and salary administration – Discipline – Separation process.
UNIT II LABOR LEGISLATION
Labor laws- Labor law relating to construction industry- Interstate migration- Industrial relations- Collective bargaining- Worker’s participation in management – Grievance handling – Discipline – Role of law enforcing agencies and judiciary -Women in construction industry.
UNIT III SAFETY MANAGEMENT
Importance of safety- Causes of accidents -Responsibility for safety – Role of various parties in safety management -Safety benefits- Approaches to improve safety in construction for different works – Measuring safety.
UNIT IV SAFETY IMPLEMENTATION
Application of ergonomics to the construction industry – Prevention of fires at construction site- Safety audit.
UNIT V QUALITY MANAGEMENT IN CONSTRUCTION
Importance of quality – Elements of quality – Quality characteristics- Quality by design – Quality conformance -Contractor quality control – Identification and traceability – Continuous chain management – Brief concept and application – Importance of specifications- Incentives and penalties in specifications – Workmanship as a mark of quality – Final inspection – Quality assurance techniques – Inspection, testing, sampling – Documentation – Organization for quality control, Cost of quality – Introduction to TQM, Six sigma concept- ISO 14000 in quality management.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to
• Identify the need and importance of human resource management, labour laws relating to construction industry
• Identify the need and measures to improve safety in construction industry and safety audit
• Identify the need for applying ergonomics to construction industry
• Enumerate the need, importance, elements of quality and significance of quality assurance in industry