• To understand the importance of information in business
• To know about the recent information systems and technologies.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION
Data, Information, Information System, evolution, types based on functions and hierarchy, Enterprise and functional information systems.
UNIT II SYSTEM ANALYSIS AND DESIGN
System development methodologies, Systems Analysis and Design, Data flow Diagram (DFD), Decision table, Entity Relationship (ER), Object Oriented Analysis and Design(OOAD), UML diagram.
UNIT III DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
DBMS – types and evolution, RDBMS, OODBMS, RODBMS, Data warehousing, Data Mart, Data mining.
UNIT IV INTEGRATED SYSTEMS, SECURITY AND CONTROL
Knowledge based decision support systems, Integrating social media and mobile technologies in Information system, Security, IS Vulnerability, Disaster Management, Computer Crimes, Securing the Web.
UNIT V NEW IT INITIATIVES
Introduction to Deep learning, Big data, Pervasive Computing, Cloud computing, Advancements in AI, IoT, Block chain, Crypto currency, Quantum computing
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
• Learn the basics of data and information system.
• Understand the system development methodologies.
• Understand database management system and its types.
• Learn the various technologies in information system and its security.
• Gains knowledge on effective applications of information systems in business
1. Robert Schultheis and Mary Sumner, Management Information Systems – The Manager’ s View, Tata McGraw Hill, 2008.
2. Kenneth C. Laudon and Jane P Laudon, Management Information Systems – Managing the Digital Firm, 15 th edition, 2018.
3. Panneerselvam. R, Database Management Systems, 3rd Edition, PHI Learning, 2018.