• To create an awareness on the various types of disasters and to expose the students about the measures, its effect against built structures, and hazard assessment procedure in India.
• To impart knowledge on the methods of mitigating various hazards such that their impact on communities is reduced.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION
Difference between hazards and disaster -Types of disasters-Phases of disaster management – Hazards – Classification of hazards – Hazards affecting buildings – Building safety against hazards – Floods – Cyclone – Landslides -Tsunami – Fire.
UNIT II EARTHQUAKE DISASTER
Earthquake hazard map -Causes of earthquakes -Classification of earthquakes -Seismic waves – Energy release – Inertia forces – Natural period – Resonance – Damping -Seismic response of free vibration -Seismic response of damped vibration -Performance of ground and buildings in past earthquakes-Earthquake resistant measures in RC and masonry buildings – Potential deficiencies of RC and masonry buildings.
UNIT III OTHER DISASTERS
Landslides-Landslide zoning map – Causes -Protection measures Floods -Flood zone map – Effects on buildings -Protection measures from damage to buildings -Mitigation strategies -Tropical cyclones – Effects on buildings -Protection measures from damage to buildings – Tsunami – Tsunami wave characteristics -Peculiarities of tsunami deposits -Tsunami impact on coastal lines- Effects of Tsunami on built structures – Fire disaster – Causes and effects of fire disaster – Preventive mechanism .
UNIT IV HAZARD ASSESSMENT
Visual inspection and study of available documents -Detailed in-situ investigation planning and interpretation of results-Foundation capability -Non-structural components – Seismic strengthening of buildings –Repairs, restoration and strengthening of existing buildings – Strengthening materials -Retrofitting of load bearing wall buildings – Retrofitting of RC Buildings-RVS method of screening – RC and masonry structures -Seismic hazard assessment – Deterministic seismic hazard analysis – PSHA.
UNIT V LAND USE ZONING REGULATIONS , QUALITY CONTROL AND DISASTER
Introduction-Community planning – Community contingency plan – Report building and initial awareness – Recommendations for land use zoning regulations – Construction quality control – Evolution of quality management -Reasons for poor construction -Construction of quality control in masonry structures – Disaster management policy and procedure -Legal frame work – Institutional mechanism – Schemes and grants on DM – Recommendation of 13th finance commission -Plan schemes – Non plan schemes – Externally aided schemes Role of NDRF in Disaster Management – Medical First Responder – Flood Rescue &Relief Management.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to
• understand the various types of disaster viz hydrological, coastal and marine disasters, atmospheric disasters, geological, mass movement and land disasters, wind and water driven disasters.
• to identify the potential deficiencies of existing buildings for eq disaster and suggest suitable remedial measures.
• derive the guide lines for the precautionary measures and rehabilitation measures for eq disaster.
• understand the effects of disasters on built structures
• derive the protection measures against floods, cyclone and land slides
• understand the hazard assessment procedure
• get the awareness regarding landuse zoning regulations &quality control